Looking for remote contract work on interesting projects.
Work Experience: (sorted by relevance)
Einstein Industries :: San Diego, CA :: Jan 2015 - Present
Director of Software Engineering
- Responsible for the management of 8-10 developers of varying skills and specialties.
- Architecture and planning of diverse software projects at various life cycle stages.
- Continued hands-on support of some applications and libraries.
- Creation of usable prototypes to test product concept and technological feasibility.
- Liaison between different departments for requirements and needs analysis.
- Containerization (docker) of CMS frontend and deployment system, multi layer, multi environment
Einstein Industries :: San Diego, CA :: July 2007 - Jan 2015
Web Applications Developer
- (Go) Image Optimization proxy with intellegent caching for "lag-less" processing
- (Ruby) Error monitoring and reporting to slack, errbit based
- (Git/Shell) Custom git to Slack integration with commit/diff display
- (Ruby) Performance optimization of custom CMS, caching
- (Ruby) Designed and implemented CAS (Central Authentication Service) based login system based on ruby-cas, with multiple custom authentication back-ends and application level plugins.
- (Ruby on Rails) Designed and developed a multi-account blog hosting platform, implemented on client websites via custom API, or reverse proxy. Granular user permissions, blogs can be created and modified via RESTful API for interaction with other company software.
- (Ruby on Rails) Designed and developed a searchable generic directory integrated with Google Maps API. Enabled search based on location for businesses with a large number of entities (offices, doctors, conferences etc) they wanted to showcase. Continued maintenance and updates throughout life cycle.
- (Ruby) Implemented SVN post-commit hook that sends commit changes to Campfire to keep all developers informed of updates to projects.
- (Ruby on Rails) Developed plugin that sends exceptions throw from inside Rails applications to Campfire instance so they can be addressed immediately.
- (Ruby on Rails) Designed, and developed, an account-subdomained website content management system for use by users with little website maintenance experience. Complete theming system, integration with domain and email APIs, integration with proprietary "value added" ecommerce platform. Continued maintenance and updates throughout life cycle.
- (Project Management) Co-developed a slightly modified SCRUM methodology for the department's software development process that was then used for all medium to large scale projects.
- (Ruby on Rails) Developed plugin allowing the "late" addition of routes for use in tests where you want to test, for example an "abstract controller" behavior
- (PHP) Performed many small projects on client websites utilizing PHP ranging from third-party API integration to the parsing and display of RSS feeds
Freelance Consulting :: Global :: 2002 – Present
Web Development and Server Configuration
- (Go) Automation of SSL cert request/installation process saving dozens of man hours per week
- (Ruby on Rails) Merge two complex Rails applications, one inside of the other using an interesting namespace technique
- (Ruby) Customized and deployed rubycas based authentication system for 3 different systems to authenticate against. A custom backend for rubycas was created as well.
- (Ruby on Rails) Designed and implemented document control system for an educational support branch of the government. Documents had complex state information that related to an ACL type system.
- (Ruby on Rails) Designed and developed CMS for the hosting and management of property websites, such as apparent buildings, new condos for sale, etc. Complete theming, multiple accounts, end users could upload and manage floor plans, automatic lead tracking, dynamic image thumbnail creation to custom sizes.
- (PHP) Created CMS application core for GamerNode.com. News, reviews, previews, screenshots, etc
- (PHP) Created SocialSpy.net a MySpace “tracker” application that allowed you to record and identify people who viewed your MySpace profile. Used cookies placed on “tracked” people allong with a system to allow the whole community to identify what “fingerprint” belonged to who.
- (PHP) Created custom PHP classes for integration of Paypal into basic shopping cart which was inturn integrated into an application to control access to forums and sections on a website.
- (PHP) Held chat-based tutoring sessions for web designers unfamiliar with PHP. This helped them understand how to better write (X)HTML for use by PHP programmers, and to create their own custom templates for various premade PHP applications.
- (PHP) Volunteered time to help a church get their website in a more manageable state using several basic PHP scripts and text files with special parsing, using Markdown.
- (Ruby on Rails) Created website/CMS “Miss South County San Diego” Competition. Features include news/contestant sign up features, etc.
- (Ruby on Rails) Creating “uCart” an easy to use, flexible internet store application with optional integration with Paypal, Authorize.net, UPS, FedEx, DHL, and USPS
Let’s Talk Health :: Chula Vista, CA :: Sept 2004 – June 2007
System Admin, PHP, Linux Server Admin, Various
- (PHP) Created intranet application for checking custom report data gathered from MSSQL database. Application provided many different reports, from product sales over time to stock levels, to customer purchase preferences.
- (Linux, PHP) Selected and setup hardware and software for live internet radio call in talk show.
- (Linux) Setup and administered dedicated LAMP server for 4 websites.
- (PHP) Automated web order fulfillment and shipping process.
- (PHP) Integrated website newsletter subscribe/unsubscribe with 3rd party newsletter emailer.
- (Linux) Setup custom Linux gateway/router/firewall for company network. Complete with web filtering and various restrictions on internet usage.
- (Linux) Vital role in moving company from Great Plains to open-source Compiere based ERP application. Setup Oracle/Compiere on server, and administered server from there forward.
- Sole maintainer and administrator of 10+ workstations, and 5 servers (Windows and Linux).
- Extracted sales and marketing data from legacy Access database, developing relationships within in it that it wasn’t originally purposed to do.
- Was a vital source of information and worked directly with Microsoft Solution Provider to replace legacy Access database with a Great Plains platform.
Hilltop High School :: Chula Vista, CA :: 2002 – 2003
PHP Development – SchoolScribe
- (PHP) Created CMS for the publishing of news, photos, calendar, and assignments.
- (PHP) Later added dynamic home pages for teachers, which included a “dashboard” type feature to have all of their relevant information and management tasks in one place.
- (PHP) Custom XML Parser to handle dirty external data sources.
- (PHP) Created automatic caching system to locally cache remote data sources and maintain expiration and freshness data.
- (Ruby on Rails) Currently enhancing and re-implementing the SchoolScribe application in Ruby on Rails for practice.
AOIT :: Chula Vista, CA :: 2002 – 2003
Linux Server Administration
- (Linux) Configured and installed Linux running on a Gateway Server with SMP and RAID 0.
- (Linux) Created Windows Domain hosted by a Linux server using Samba. Supported roaming Windows profiles, HTTP, and FTP services. Users had personal web space, and their files were available from anywhere on campus using FTP or Windows files sharing. User webspace had full support for PHP and MySQL.
IDEC Pharmaceuticals :: Torrey Pines, CA :: Summer 2003
- Created tools in WinBatch to help in the migration of over a thousand Windows NT workstations to NT.
- Added VBA scripts to Excel spreadsheets containing thousands of rows of data to automatically analyze, tabulate, and create graphs of the data.
- Python, Bash (UNIX/LINUX shell scripting), C#, Visual Basic
- Operating Systems:
- Linux, Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP, MacOS 10
- Server Software:
- Apache, MySQL, SAMBA, Various FTP servers, SSH, VNC
- BIND, Postfix
- Application Experience: (various levels)
Visual Studio, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Flash